Respiratory System Lab Report
Name, date, course, and section required for password:
I. Human Respiratory Anatomy
1. What upper respiratory structure connects the oral cavity to the lower respiratory and digestive systems?
2. How many alveoli are in each lung?
3. Why is the respiratory system connected to the circulatory system?
II. Fetal Pig Anatomy
1. Refer to Lab, Exercise 4 Step 1. What is the name of the structure in the fetal pig oral cavity that is labeled “C”?
2. Label the parts of the fetal pig thoracic cavity below.
3. Describe how the diaphragm muscle functions.
1. During inhalation, pressure in the lungs drops from ______ to _______.
2. When pressure decreases in the lungs, the volume of the lungs _______.
3. Refer to Lab, Exercise 6. What happens in the bell jar when the diaphragm moves down? How does this relate to breathing in the lungs?
4. What happens to your rib cage during expiration?
1. The volume of air inhaled or exhaled during normal breathing is known at the ______.
2. How is total lung capacity (TLC) calculated?
3. Refer to Lab, Exercise 8. Construct a graph showing the relationship between vital capacity (X axis) and age (Y axis) for all students. Label your axes. Sign, date, and prepare an image of your drawing, and include it with your lab report.
V. Control of respiration
1. What important stimulus controls ventilation?
2. Refer to Lab, Exercise 9 and record your results below.
Record the number of times you breathe in three minutes.
Divide by three to calculate the average respiratory rate.
Measure how long you can hold your breath after a restful inspiration.
Run in place for 2 minutes, then measure how long the subject can hold his/her breath after a restful inspiration.
3. How does each of the following affect the level of carbon dioxide in the blood?
Running in place
1. What happens to volume and pressure during inhalation? During exhalation?
2. What is the name of the structures that form two branches of the trachea?
3. Describe the location and function of the diaphragm.
4. What organ in the fetal pig is contained in the pericardial sac?
5. Where are the vocal cords located?
6. Name an instrument used to measure lung volumes.
7. Name the four lung volumes which, when combined, give the total lung capacity.
8. Which skeletal muscles contract during each of the following?
9. Is breathing entirely voluntary? Explain.
© 2016 Access Learning Systems B SP22
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more