What do you need to do to distinguish yourself in the workplace? Clearly, technical skills are necessary. But they are not enough. Frequently, technically skilled individuals are not able to get their ideas implemented. Sometimes ideas get implemented but without real commitment to them. To be successful in an organization, a person needs to be able to function effectively in interacting with others. Interpersonal skills such as communicating well, handling conflict, building relationships, exercising power, and motivating others are necessary to be a successful manager. The knowledge and skills learned in this class should enable you, with practice and commitment, to contribute more meaningfully to any group or organization to which you belong.
Having taken this course, you should be able to:
1) Better diagnose “problems” that may be causing difficulties in the workplace.
2) Think more critically and systematically about these problems.
3) Recognize opportunities for organizational improvements.
4) Translate theoretical knowledge into practical action more effectively.
5) Work more collaboratively in a team.
6) Speak and write more clearly, concisely, and effectively.
7) Exercise power so that others follow your direction.
8) Develop better insight into what makes you “tick”.
1. Two cases should be ordered from Harvard Business School Publishing (hold off on ordering for the first four weeks of class): (a) Jet Blue (#9-801-354) and (b) Thomas Green: Power, Politics, and a Career Crisis (#2095). It is possible that a third case may be added to this list.
2. There will be a number of handouts.
3. There is no textbook for this course. Rather, I will rely on your getting access to several articles that are available online through our library (if you need help accessing these, please let me know). The articles are also available in our library. You also may be able to find articles via a Web search using a browser such as Google. A couple of articles will be handed out. I would recommend that you get a binder or a folder to hold the class materials.
I will post announcements on the course’s website concerning assignments.
If you are unclear on what is due or what will be covered in the next class, send me an email.
1. Attendance: Your attendance is critical for the success of this course and for your individual performance. If you miss a class, you are responsible for the material covered.
2. Participation: Students are expected to participate during class discussions of cases, handouts, videos, and readings. I encourage you to bring relevant issues from the “real world” to our attention.
3. Assignments: (more detail will be provided during class and via web site announcements).
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more